Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

On 08/04/2010 15:03 EDT, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2010, at 6:30 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
>> I think that, in theory, the IESG has the ability to "solve"
>> many of these problems by adopting a management doctrine that
>> groups get meeting resources only if they can justify them on
>> the basis of posted drafts and active discussion of those drafts
>> on mailing lists.
>
> I participated (kinda) in this meeting remotely, and it's
> really become quite noticeable the extent to which the
> work of the IETF is now done in meetings rather than on
> mailing lists.  Part of this is that while the audio
> streaming has gotten quite excellent, the jabber support
> has deteriorated quite badly.  There used to be a few
> sessions in which there was no jabber scribing and now it's
> more common than not.

When I'm doing meeting notes, I like to focus on the meeting notes and
then do incremental copy/paste dumps of those notes into the jabber
conference whenever I have idle moments.  That way only one person is
required for both meeting notes and "scribing", and you're never without
a jabber scribe (since notes are required).  However, someone else needs
to monitor what's going on in jabber in order to act as a proxy and
relay comments or questions to the group.

> While I suppose it's a natural
> consequence of the much improved audio quality

I would suspect it's just that people have found jabbering awkward and
with little return all along, so now that the honeymoon is over they're
not bothering.