Re: Nomcom Enhancements: Improving the IETF leadership selection process

Looking at the numbers, and trying to estimate (because there are not clear records to make it easy to verify whether person X has ever been a WG chair, what I found was that typically, about 40% of the pool was "experienced by the conditions we were using. Assuming 100 volunteers (which has been about the rate recently), while this gives an expected value of 4 experienced members, it gave a significant probability of 1 or 2 experienced members.

Conversely, with that same base, if one had a minimum of 4 experience members, since that removed only 4 people from the pool, it meant that the expected value would become about 6.4 experienced members, with a very high probability of getting 7 experienced members. I at least, and I believe others, felt this was too close to packing the committee. The goal is not to give experienced people control, but to make sure that there are enough experienced participants to inform the process.

Hence, after debating, we settled on 3 for the first draw. This gives obviously a minimum of 3, and an expected value of almost 5.8, with a corresponding reduction in the odds of getting 7 or more experienced members. In some ways this still seemed to me to be uncomfortably high. But the other concern was that if we ever actually got a good turnout for the pool, such that experienced volunteers made up only 15 or 20 percent of the pool, the three minimum would still ensure that there were 3 experienced people on the committee. (The most inexperienced committee on record, as far as we could tell, occurred when we had a very good turnout for the nomcom volunteer pool, something I at least really appreciate, and not an especially high turnout of experienced people.)

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

PS: When we updated the nomcom eligibility for 2 out of 3 to 34 out of 5, there was much discussion of what the right balance was. The concern at the time, which I share, is that if we increase the window too much, folks who are not currently involved, but are coming back, would be eligible. And it seemed to the working group that it was important that folks experience be relatively recent. If the attendance condition has any meaning, someone who has skipped the last 5 meetings would seem to be lacking in currency. (It can be argued that the attendance condition doesn't work, but that is a very different debate.)