Re: Last Call: draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 08:02:52PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
> Jeff, this works for me, but I don't think you really do the
> spec's readers any favors by trying to reiterate the entire
> history of terminology in this area (and, incidentally, leaving
> things out that some folks might consider important like the
> leading digit exception in 1123).  Someday, someone should
> produce a definitive DNS terminology document, but this spec
> shouldn't try to be it.

I think this is sound advice, and I think the rest of John's
suggestion is also a good one.  There are enough confusing
interpretations of DNS terminology around without adding to them.

(As to John's suggestion for a "definitive" DNS terminology document,
all I can say is that it's hard enough to herd the DNS cats on topics
where everyone seems roughly in agreement.  Getting consensus on such
a definitive document strikes me as more like trying to herd
Schrödinger's cats.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shinkuro, Inc.