RE: IETF privacy policy - update

On July 08, 2010 12:42 AM joel jaeggli wrote:

> On 2010-07-07 12:53, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
>>
>> Sam,
>>
>> I view this more or less as "standard boilerplate", something you find
>> in a lot of "online places". I think it is reasonable to expect that
>> if you register for a meeting your personal info (e-mail address
>> mostly) won't be sold/used/harvested by someone for purposes other
>> than what you think you signed up for.
>
> the fact that you signed up for the meeting is publicly available so
> that we don't sell mailing lists to spammers seems sort of irrelevant.

This is the way things are *now*. Discussion of a privacy statement may lead to changes, such as keeping the attendee list confidential, and destroying it on the Monday following the meeting.

I personally don't care if the whole world knows I've been to an IETF meeting, but the decision to publish the list on the website has privacy consequences. Without a privacy policy, it's hard to say whether that is acceptable or not.