Re: [rrg] Idea for IPv4 addition or extension

In einer eMail vom 17.04.2010 03:57:17 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt scott.brim@xxxxxxxxx:
Unfortunately there isn't much new under the sun.  This appears to be a
combination of geographic addressing (various sources, e.g. Steve
Deering and Tony Hain) and RFC1955.  Geographic addressing has
deployability issues -- search for archives of those arguments.  The
problem with mapping based on ASs is that they are the wrong granularity
for external routing.  They are either too coarse (different prefixes
within an AS need different treatment) or too fine.
Scott,
there is a lot new under the sun - from the routing technologyical point of view. In 2003 I really made a significant discovery that extremely propelled all my routing skills. Either me or someone else, who however would progress based on my work, will be able, sooner or later, to prove that P=NP.  The practical( i.e. less academical) benefits could be harvested even now, but obviously no one from the RRG is interested in  routing technology that is more advanced than what you can learn at the universities.
Instead people rather rediscover Steve Deering's metropolitain routing. But just using the geographical coordinates in that way won't do! This is as poor as is ILNP which in indeed  just a remake of PNNI and - remember you created the acronym yourself- of IARP (Inter-domain ATM-network Routing Protocol). In the meantime others have shown quite some negative aspects of such kind of hierarchical routing, more precisely, of such hierarchical address-summarization based routing: Stretch 17 !
And I can also add: Istanbul effect (exact city map for the European part plus a cut-out for the Eastern part from a road map about whole Asia) ! And third: No sensitiveness for a future, entirely mobile network!
What if                A L L            users become mobile ? including the home agents and care-of-address servers ?!!!  ILNP won't be of any help at all.
And: ILNP emphasizes that multi-homing is just a special kind of multipath. Great. But at the same time it prevents 100 % multipath, where there is no  panicing about loops  anymore, not even in case of required crankback.

Heiner