RE: Last Call: draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent Configuration) to Informational RFC

Heh... weren't you just arguing about how optional requirements in IETF docs are bad?  ;)

This form of optional is right up that alley.  For example, if I am a service provider who wants to not have Subscription mode, and the only way to do it is through UA config framework itself by setting a config field for "Subscribe-UA-Config="false" or whatever, then clearly the UA's MUST use the config.  A MAY statement does nothing.

If it's not clear and exact as to what config data a UA is supposed to use, and when, then you really do get "flaky service behavior" as you were worried about in a previous email.

-hadriel