RE: Last Call: draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent Configuration) to Informational RFC

Well of course anything "scales" if you throw enough money at it.
I guess it would have been clearer to say "it does not scale in a cost-effective manner relative to the benefit it provides".

As you know it *is* actually more signaling messages and heavier than Registration during restart, but let's just assumes it scales no worse than Registration.  Is that a good thing?  Registration provides something tangibly valuable (and unavoidably necessary).  How does this config framework model *require* the subscriptions in order to properly function, other than just through text saying it does?  For some folks it will be very useful/good, for others a waste of money and complexity.

And the way this is written makes the Subscription portion now a critical/blocking component in getting SIP service up and working (unless I'm misreading it).  You and I both know vendors have spent *years* perfecting SIP Registration for avalanche-type events, to get service back up as quickly as possible.  Changing that model in a way that cannot be turned off/disabled is just asking for trouble.

BTW, I wouldn't care so much if this were just some random individual draft or only meant for private Enterprise deployments.  But this is really a Sip-Forum draft, meant for SSP's of any size.

-hadriel