Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

Doug Ewell wrote:

>> As many Japanese type Yen sign, when he actually want to input back
>> slash, the JIS character of Yen sign is converted to unicode character
>> of Yen sign, which is not back slash, which was the intention.

> I think this means that the user's kludge, in typing a yen sign to get a
> backslash, is not matched by Unicode with an equal and opposite kludge
> of converting the yen sign back to a backslash.  I guess in the 1960s
> one could consider this a fault.

That is simply a reality though it does not match your opinion.

It should also be noted that, in Japanese encoding of JIS C 6226,
back slash and Yen sign has been separateds already in 1978,
which means unicode adds nothing.

> Why don't we ask one of the scores of software vendors that have
> deployed Unicode, at least as "fully" as this thread is about, just how
> "disastrous" their experience has been and how much better things would
> be if they had stuck with ISO 2022 instead?

See above.

						Masataka Ohta