Re: Gen-ART LC/Tekechat Review of draft-ietf-geopriv-loc-filters-10

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for the response. Comments inline. I deleted sections that I believe to be resolved.

Thanks!

Ben.

On Mar 21, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo) wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for your detailed review. Please find my response inline.
> An updated version of the draft will be submitted in the next few days.

It seems to me that this draft _does_ modify it. On reflection, my comment here is merely a summary of the more concrete comment below, so I'll address it there.

>> -- section 3.6, 2nd paragraph:
>>
>> The empty notify language seems to conflict with the MUST
>> level normative statement in rate-control that says:
>>
>>> depending on the event package and subscriber
>>>   preferences indicated in the SUBSCRIBE request, the NOTIFY request
>>>   MUST contain either the current full state or the partial state
>>>   showing the difference between the current state and the last
>>>   successfully communicated state.
>>>

>> Is it your intent to update rate-control to change this
>> requirement? If so, it would be good to do so prior to
>> publication of that draft. (see previous comment)
>>

> I tried to clarify the sentence. In the use cases we consider it is
> quite likely that location information is not available at the time the
> subscription request was received and then the returned state
> corresponds to an empty notification.

I understand the reasoning behind it. My main concern is that you are recommending something that is normatively prohibited in rate-control. There's a few ways to handle that:

1) Treat rate-control as an informative reference, and say you're doing something mostly like rate control, but not quite identical. That would require quite a bit more normative language to describe what you're actually doing.

2) Make this draft update rate-control to allow for empty bodies when you don't have location info yet. Put some tightly constrained language around it. so that this doesn't become a _general_ udpate.

3) Since rate-control has, to my knowledge, not been pubreq'd yet, try to get the authors to modify the language to allow for empty bodies for this use case.

I personally think 3 is the best path forward, as I think the empty notify is generally useful for rate-control, and implementor are likely to do it anyway.

[...]

>> Minor issues:
>>
>> -- general:
>>
>> Some of the filter mechanisms in this draft require a lot of
>> calculations for every candidate update to determine if it
>> matches a filter.  It would be useful to have some discussion
>> of the scalability impacts of this.
>>

> I agree with you that some of the filtering operations require a fair
> amount of calculations and location determination to happen in order to
> have real-time access to location information.
>
> We did not address scalability considerations in the document and we
> would rather like to postpone detailed investigations once we gain some
> implementation and deployment experience. If such scalability concerns
> indeed arise we are happy to fix them with an update to the document but
> we believe that it will take a fair amount of time to reach maturity
> before we can make good measurements.

I did not mean to suggest a full analysis. Just a mention that implementors should think about this and use reasonable care. But my feelings are not strong here--if, after thinking about it, you still don't think it belongs in this draft, I'm okay with that.

> The approach is a bit similar to what you see other groups doing in the
> IETF with the work on presence scalability. There, the specifications
> got implemented and deploymend and only some time later investigations
> are made regarding scalability with the available deployment experience.

I'm not sure I'd hold that example up as ideal process :-)

>> -- section 3.6, first paragraph:
>>
>> Why is average-rate left out? If you are going to suggest
>> using just part of a previously defined mechanism, it would be
>> nice to show motivation for the parts left out.
>
> We don't think that there is anything wrong with implementing rate
> control but we could not find a use case for the average-rate feature
> for our application domain.

A sentence to that effect would be helpful.

[...]

>> It would be helpful to have some comment on how filters
>> interact with rate-control for location. For example, what
>> happens if I have a max-interval that expires before a filter
>> has been met? A trigger that fires before the min-interval
>> expires? (I think the answer is that rate-control wins, but
>> some text would be helpful.)
>
> I believe that these aspects should be explained in rate control because
> it is not specific to this document.
>

>> Nits/editorial comments:
>>
>> -- General:
>>
>> I find the organization of this draft confusing. It would be
>> helpful to have a clearer distinction between text that
>> creates new mechanism or normative requirements, and text that
>> describes how you can use existing mechanism. I think it would
>> be easier to read if you separated new mechanism and usage of
>> existing mechanisms into separate sections.
>>

> Interesting comment. I actually thought that an implementer would not
> care about this distinction but would rather be interested in how to
> accomplish the functionality overall. I had written the document
> intentionally with such a focus.

Okay--this is really more of a difference of opinions on a style question, so I'll withdraw the comment.

[...]