Re: Bar Bof on Federated Authentication Thursday at 9 PM during IETF week

On 3/10/2010 5:04 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> And there was a time when a Request For Comments was intended to be an
> informal note, we seem to have made a mess there as well.
>
> What I find sad about the whole identity/authentication area is the
> way that we have so many frameworks and frameworks of frameworks and
> complexity for what is a very simple problem. And I am sorry, but
> doing the job the user wants done IS actually the easy part.
>

> What is hard about federated authentication is the fact that there are
> all these people who already think they have done something important
> and that it must be part of the solution.

It's their jobs on the line and their professional credibility.

Todd

> The result is a series of Frankenstein monsters with very visible
> seams with irrelevant choices the user is presented with.
Something the Sponsor's have no idea about since the members rarely if
ever report to them.

> My computer
> knows I am logged into my Google mail account to write this note. Why
> can't it figure out a seamless and entirely transparent method of
> securely communicating that fact to other sites I might want to
> access?

because that would mean systems built by many different people would
actually have to work together and that means human ego's would be
damaged...

> That is not a hard problem, but it has been made hard by
> insistence on irrelevant technology.
>
> Last time we had a BOF on that subject matter we had people with the
> bizarre notion that the user interface should be excluded from work on
> user authentication.I don't care if usability is outside people's
> comfort zone, if any group is going to be chartered in this space it
> should be required to address usability issues or we are better off
> without it.
>

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Melinda Shore <shore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Glen Zorn wrote:
>>>
>>> Suddenly I'm nostalgic for the days when bar BOFs were impromptu affairs
>>> that sprang up in, well, _bars_ & were of necessity free of PowerPoint
>>> infestation...
>>
>> It wasn't that long ago that a member of the IESG was
>> objecting to calling them BOFs at all.  It used to be
>> the case that it was just a bunch of people talking,
>> and this stuff about rooms and presentations and whatnot
>> leads me to wonder if the "bar BOF" has graduated to
>> something that's got some level of sponsorship or
>> support from somewhere other than just the people who
>> show up, and whether or not that matters.
>>
>> Melinda

begin:vcard
fn:Todd Glassey
n:Glassey;Todd