Appeal to the IESG concerning the approbation of the IDNA2008 document set.

The IESG has received an appeal.  It can be found here:
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal/morfin-2010-03-10.pdf

JFC Morfin included these comments in the cover note:

> Basically this appeal documents that IDNA2008 enlight capacities
> and principles that are built in the Internet technology but that
> were not used. This is a great thing. However the IESG has not
> included a disclaimer on top of these documents, nor foreseen how
> and where the necessary IDNA user-side issues are to be discussed
> and documented. This may lead people like me to unpredictably toy
> with them without any established Adminance (governance of the tools
> to be managed by the Governance) arrangement, or organizations like
> ICANN to engage into inappropriate testing.
>
> The document size is impressive. There is three reasons to that:
>
> - the impact on the Internet usage architecture is potentially
> impressive
>
> - the change is not in the technology, but in the way to consider
> the technology and the way it addresses multiplicity. IDNA2008 is
> about pople's multilinguization while IDNA2003 was about Unicode's
> globalization. This is a big change that multilinguists can discuss.
> However, everyone has to understand it simplifies the complexity of
> handling multiplicity (RFC 3439 - principle of simplicity) in
> conformance with RFC 1858 to do it at fringes. RFC 1958 also advises
> to keep the first solution when it works.
>
> - the third reasons is that I do not want to be accused of not having
> checked my rationale for Interplus and further Intersem work. NB. I
> call Interplus is what I think Internet needs to be able to fully
> support the Intersem (that the IDNA2008's approaches simplifies), and
> the Intersem is what IDNA2008 introduces: the capacity for brain to
> brain interintelligibility.
>
> The document is also maintained as a wiki under
> http://iucg.org/wiki/100310_-_JFCM_Appeal_to_the_IESG.

The IESG plans address this appeal in the next few weeks, and the IESG
solicits comments on this appeal from the community.  Please send
substantive comments to the ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2010-03-27.
Exceptionally, comments may be sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead.

On behalf of the IESG,
  Russ Housley