Re: ietf 1id_guidelines tool broken

On 2010-02-27 13:17 William Allen Simpson said the following:
> Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
>> Your initial 'bugreport' contained no specifics whatsoever.
>>
>> You inappropriately sent the 'tool is broken' message to the whole IETF
>> general discussion list, in addition to addressing me directly (so it's
>> not as if you didn't know where to direct a bug report).
>>
> All IETF draft submitters need to know promptly, as Monday is the deadline
> for -00 version internet-drafts.

So you're still maintaining that it's good and right to send out a notice
of a problem widely and provide no information which makes it possible to
resolve it?  Bah!

> It took some time (2 hours) to figure out that you had written the tool
> that generated the bad output, as the secretariat does not put your name
> (nor the tool name nor the version number) in their response message.
>
> I'm regretting wasting my time (finding you).

So am I.

> And you probably shouldn't increment the .trivial for such a huge change.
> That was really a major change (as was 1id_guidelines itself).
>
> Maybe that's the reason the secretariat didn't think it was important
> enough to install.

You're not duplicating what I've been saying.  The tool *was* installed
on February 4th.  Somewhere there's been a slip-up, but translating that
into evaluation of importance is nonsense.

>> All of the above earns you no respect with me, and that colours my
>> directly, containing specifics that lets us *fix* the problem, rather
>> than blazoning an unspecific and unhelpful 'Things don't work' message
>> across the sky, and you might get a different tone back.
>>
> It was reported to the secretariat directly ~13:53 EST by 'phone, but
> could not be fixed promptly.
>
> AFAICT, it's still not updated!
>
>    http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/
>
> At this very moment:
>
> Version: 2.12.00

Ooh, that's not good.  The .01 version is only available on some of the
tools servers, not all.  Fixed.

> Note the author is missing here, too.

Funny.  I see my name quite clearly on the web page there.

> Also, the verbose output doesn't count line lengths correctly.  Apparently,
> it is including the non-printing FF in the count.  Not good.
>
> <sarcasm>
> Also, this was somewhat amusing:
>
>    ** Obsolete normative reference: RFC 1700 (ref. 'RFC 3232') (Obsoleted by
>       RFC 3232)
>
> Outstanding!  Fails on the reference to RFC 1700 in the *title* of the
> RFC 3232 reference that obsoleted RFC 1700:

I'm afraid I can't comment on this, as the error message is based on the content
of the reference entry in your document, which you've not seen fit to provide,
although I requested it in my first note.

> 1432	   [RFC 3232]  Reynolds, J., "Assigned Numbers: RFC 1700 is Replaced by
> 1433	               an On-line Database", January 2002.
> </sarcasm>
>
> At least the secretariat was smart enough to know that "**" pseudo-error
> was bogus, and didn't include it in their message to me.

I'm very gratified that you actually expect a mere computer program written
by me to be able to make human grade intelligent evaluations of content.

> As I wrote previously, get off your high horse.  We really don't need the
> attitude....

My attitude to you, sir, is that you should make it possible for me to fix
things, by providing information instead of generalities of the "it doesn't
work" type.  I do what I do as a volunteer, and I certainly don't need the
aggravation of broadcast generalities of this kind.

>  Next time, test to see that your own code was installed and
> actually works.  It's obvious that you never tested much of anything.

It would be obvious to you if you'd looked at the idnits report of your own
submission that idnits *had* been installed:
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/display_idnit.cgi?submission_id=21622

So I'm afraid that your idea of what's obvious doesn't count for much with
me.

	Henrik