Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

--On Thursday, January 07, 2010 11:46 -0500 Russ Housley
<housley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I do not think that anyone wants the outcome to be yet another
> encumbered codec.  I think these words are trying to say what
> you want, but they are also trying to be realistic.
>
> Does the following text strike a better balance?
>
>    Although this preference cannot guarantee that the working
>    group will produce an unencumbered codec, the working group
> shall
>    follow BCP 79, and adhere to the spirit of BCP 79.  The
> working
>    group cannot explicitly rule out the possibility of adapting
>    encumbered technologies; however, the working group will
> try to
>    avoid encumbered technologies that require royalties.

Yes.  Considerable improvement, IMO.  Out of deference to
often-stated other concerns, "require royalities" should be
something like "require royalties or explicit per-implementation
or per-user licensing", but I think that is in the spirit of
where you are going.

    john