Re: Last Call: draft-jabley-reverse-servers (Nameservers for IPv4 and IPv6 Reverse Zones) to Proposed Standard

On 2010-01-04, at 19:23, Sam Hartman wrote:

> So, I think John is asking the questions well about the in-addr.arpa
> plan.

OK. I hope the answers are helpful.

> For the sink.arpa, it would be good to explain why we want this name to
> exist.

We *don't* want the name to exist; that's the point of the draft. I presume that's what you meant?

>          Also, if your goal is that applications not have special logic
> for sink.arpa you should *say* that: I read the draft assuming that it
> was free license to applications to start doing special things with that
> name and was starting to put together lists trying to figure out what
> special application semantics motivated the work.

OK, that's good feedback. I can see how that's non-obvious, looking at the problem from an implementator's perspective as opposed to a registry operator's perspective.

> I do believe both sets of questions should be answered in the drafts.  I
> don't feel that strongly about it though; if the IESG would rather not,
> that's fine with me.

Thanks for providing more information about your concerns; it was helpful.

Joe