RE: One level up on the IAOC decision in re: China.

Dave CROCKER [mailto:dcrocker@xxxxxxxx] writes:

> Ted Hardie wrote:
> > My personal take on the resolution of this is that the Chinese
> > government has provided a long-recognized way of routing around the
> > problem.  The "One Country/Two Systems" formulation created by Deng
> > Xiaoping sets aside special administrative regions that clearly are
> > part of China and yet do not share the characteristics which have
> been
> > of concern in this community consultation.  If we can make
> > participation easier for our Chinese colleagues by meeting in Hong
> > Kong or Macau, I think we should do so, and I think so even if that
> > means the meeting must be unsponsored.
>

> +1

My understanding is that it is actually more difficult for citizens of the
PRC to obtain a visa to HK or Macau than to for example, Sweden.  However,
this may be a fruitful line of thought: I believe that it is quite easy to
travel between China and the ASEAN countries (Viet Nam, Thailand, etc.).  I
have suggested Bangkok as a site for an IETF several times before; it has
many large hotels, good air and adequate Internet connectivity, a
tourist-friendly environment, etc.  The only drawback seems to be its
reputation as offering entirely too many opportunities for wholesome fun
;-), which runs afoul of the Calvinist tendencies of the IESG.  I think that
this could be largely overcome by scheduling the meeting during the hot
season, however: few will venture outside the air-conditioned hotel...

Hope this helps.

~gwz