Re: [IAOC] Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meetingof the IETF

At 12:41 PM 9/24/2009, Dave CROCKER wrote:

Ole Jacobsen wrote:
Dave,
By the time everthing is said about this I suspect the "chilling effects" will be minimized. There will probably still be people
not wanting to go "on principle," but I at least hope that the
number will not be so great as to impact the success of the meeting.

And here I was thinking it was already /increased/, not reduced.

For example, I've enjoyed the meetings I've had in China -- and the anti-spam topic ran directly into potential sensitivities, of the sort discussed here, and with no problems.

But this contract clause and ensuing discussion now have me fully expecting serious problems I wouldn't otherwise have thought much about...

so -- here's another (compound) question to ask in this vein

*IF* somehow the meeting gets shut down (for whatever reason), does that mean we IETF participants are to leave the country immediately, or can we remain in the country -- conceivably at the same hotel -- conceivably at the same hotel that shut the meeting down -- or do we have to then immediately find new accommodations?

This would impact everyone of us attending, even if the incident that caused the meeting to shut down was a single individual not near where the rest of us were at that time.

I know this is extreme, but Alissa's quoted paragraph (from Ole's) doesn't make that unlikely, it states that this is a probability (if the meeting were to be shut down). In other words, it seems that "any offense" can cause this action, even if most of us aren't involved. I don't like that uncertainty (that if I keep my nose clean, I can still be in a pickle because of some other (single?) offender).

I personally don't know why the "contract" can't be rewritten to say something like

        "If an individual is offending China, that individual is kicked out
        of the country (or goes to jail).

        If a group offends China, that group is kicked out of the country
        (or goes to jail).

        If the offense occurs during a plenary (the only time we are all
        together really), then the whole meeting is shut down, we are
        all going to jail or kicked out of the country."

This would be more concrete for me, and something I could evaluate the risks of.

James

d/
--

  Dave Crocker