Re: Visas and Costs

Hi.

After a brief offlist conversation with Zhujui, I think I may
have added to the confusion, rather than clarifying.    So let
me see if I can summarize my remarks and maybe his.

	* There are, or have been, some countries that view visa
	application requirements purely as revenue
	opportunities.  China is not one of them -- this is a
	serious process.

	* One needs to pay careful attention to information and
	materials requested and to schedules.  And, I hope
	obviously, one should to supply what is needed, when it
	is required.  Doing otherwise wastes your time and that
	of the consular official.

	* When visa applications (or applicants) somehow cause
	consular officials concern, the most popular action is
	not to deny them but to delay issuing them until the
	relevant event has passed.  That behavior is not unique
	to PRC officials -- the US arguably pioneered it or at
	least elevated its use to that of an art form.

	* Different consulates (even within the same country and
	representing the same other country) may have different
	policies in practice.  The ability to apply for a
	particular type of visa does not imply that it will be
	granted.   Unless you actually know what the policies
	are in practice (the better visa agencies do), it is
	usually prudent to not apply for more than you actually
	need, especially if you have not visited the country
	before.  Again, that is a general principle and has
	nothing to do with the PRC in particular.

	* If you don't live in a place convenient to a
	Consulate, or have doubts about the process, visa
	agencies ("brokers") are a good idea and perhaps a
	necessity.   Fees, services, and styles differ widely.

None of the above should be taken as implying that this a big
deal.  It is just an administrative necessity that must be dealt
with in a timely and orderly fashion.  For those for whom the
experience is new, consider it a learning opportunity.

IMO, the visa issue should not be part of the question of
whether or not to go to a meeting in China (or elsewhere)
although I hope that, when visa fees for large numbers of
attendees are non-trivial, the IAOC considers those fees as part
of their calculations of the cost of a meeting location to
attendees.

      john