Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

[Trimming to just the IETF Discussion list, as this topic is going to be one heck of a time sink and flame thrower accelerant]

Before we get all high and mighty, check out 18 U.S.C.A. § 2384 and 18 U.S.C.A. § 2385.

Is it more likely such laws would be enforced in Beijing than in New York? Unquestionably.

Is it likely that the Chinese government would look for trouble at the IETF? Doubtful.

Will the Chinese government have a lassaiz faire approach to some whacked out IETF participant looking for trouble? Probably not. However, unless you are a Chinese national (in which case all bets are off) you will probably fare better in the Chinese legal system than in other places where we have held IETFs.

Yes, a Free Tibet license plate ($10 from the VA Department of Motor Vehicles) might get you in trouble in Beijing. Then again, I wouldn't drive around Miami with an "I Endorse Castro" bumper sticker, either. True, you would not get arrested for the latter. Then again, you might end up pummeled or worse.

I have been to many, many conferences and business meetings in China. I would offer that one will find:

1. Beijing is way more expensive then you would expect.

2. Beijing has surprisingly good infrastructure. IETF anecdote: UK interim LEMONADE meeting: no WiFi, only dial-up; only port 80 enabled; all NATed & Firewalled access. Beijing interim LEMONADE meeting: WiFi, nothing blocked, actual Internet access. YMMV.

3. Beijing is a big city, like most big cities, meaning some pluses and minuses, including the usual pickpockets, shady taxis, etc. offset by thousands of years of culture.

4. Language will be an issue for non-speakers, but like any big city you should be able to get around.

5. Beijing proper is geographically much, much, much larger than most cities. If you decide to not stay in the conference hotel, be very careful about how far away the conference venue is.

6. China's visa process, while infinitely better than that of the U.S. and Russian Federation, is still a government-run bureaucracy that is expensive and time-consuming. Apply for your visa as soon as you know you will be going.