RE: Visas and Costs

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Ross Callon wrote:

> For the main hotel, do we know whether the cost will be
> significantly different from what we normally spend on IETF hotels?

The rates are expected to be in line with normal IETF rates (if there
is such a thing). Hotel costs is certainly one of the things the IAOC
considers in venue selection.

> I am assuming that VISA information will be provided on the IETF web
> site, and that we will need a letter of invitation which the IETF
> will provide. For non-US citizens living in the US, do we apply to
> the Chinese consulate in the US, and get the non-US rate?

That is what I did, using the consulate in San Francisco. See John's
note regarding visa service providers if you don't live near such a
facility.

> I am assuming that people with dual citizenship can use whichever
> passport results in the lowest fee (independent of whether they used
> the same one last time they went to China).

Probably, but that's the sort thing a good visa broker can tell you.
When I made my stupid mistake and applied too early, the first thing
I did was to sheepishly call the visa broker that I probably should
have used in the first place. They gave me all sorts of useful info
such as, "you should have applied through LA instead," and so on.
Your mileage may vary, check with the wizards.