Re: IASA Experiments and responsibilities (was: Re: Some more background on the RFID experiment in Hiroshima)

John,

You said:

"But when, after the announcement, when the community expresses
considerable concerns, I expect the IASA (and, as appropriate
the sponsor) to engage directly on the questions and to treat
the decisions as a policy matter in which the community has to
be involved."

At the risk of being accused of spending far too much time and
bandwidth on this particular topic, let me just say that the community
IS involved as you can clearly see from the discussion on this
list. The WIDE people are paying close attention and I expect there
to be yet more information forthcoming and the appropriate disclaimers
and statements of any side effects (risks) involved.

I fundamentally disagree that "considerable concerns" have been
expressed, instead I think good questions have been asked and issues
discussed that are all part of the experiment.

Risks are a fact of life. There is a risk that the T-shirts may
contain chemicals you are allergic too, there is even a risk that
you could get mugged in Hiroshima (althought my personal estimate
is that you are about 100 times less likely to experience that as
compared to say, Chicago). The risk that (somehow) the RFID cards
will/can be read by a third party and used for some undesirable
purpose, I think is very low, but I agree that we should at least
outline the potential scenario and allow the attendee to make up
his/her mind regarding participation.

You are absolutely right that the IAOC has more pressing matters
to worry about.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole@xxxxxxxxx  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj