Re: IASA Experiments and responsibilities

John C Klensin wrote:
> Ole,
>
> I'd like to encourage you and your IAOC/Trustee colleagues to
> think about this in a slightly different light, consistent with
> other concerns I've expressed recently.

I would hope very much that any experiment that I try to carry out at
the ietf has no visibility at this level...

The only difference between supporting this experiment and say asking
the the network team to throw up the another vlan for some hot steaming
nat66 action is:

	the need for willing participants to carry tags around with
	them.

	the question of data retention

There have been experiments at every IETF that I've participated in,
some have required voluntary participation, many are just various parts
of the meeting teams trying news services or hardware platforms. insofar
as I'm concerned the barriers to experimentation should remain minimal.

In the past when the issue of data retention came up in the context of
an experiment as for example in the case of the intrusion detection
system at ietf 55 the stewardship answer was simply to destroy the data
once the meeting had concluded.

On the hosting side the one and only document in the ION series
experiment that I know of has the following to say about the network
hosting of experiments:

	The network provider MUST NOT view the IETF network as an
	experimental facility at the risk of impacting the IETF attendee
	experience. (Do not experiment with his/her favorite pet
	technology.)

I've been far to active on this thread already, and since this has now
deviated from layer 1 and 2 to layer 9 I will now shut up.