Re: IASA Experiments and responsibilities (was: Re: Some more background on the RFID experiment in Hiroshima)

--On Sunday, September 13, 2009 22:00 -0700 Ole Jacobsen
<ole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John,
>
> With all due respect: The WIDE folks, host of IETF 76, have
> offered to  showcase a technology that is being used
> increasingly for all kinds of  things including public
> transportation system, door entry, and various  other
> interesting applications. We've labelled this as an experiment
> and we've given everyone the option to NOT participate and
> we've  encouraged a discussion of the many issues surrounding
> privacy and  security that might arise by deploying such
> technology. We've also,  with the help of the host, outlined
> some of the technical details and  received feedback that I am
> sure will help improve many operational  and privacy/security
> aspects of the experiment, details of which are  being
> designed as we speak. As you know, Asia in general and Japan
> in  particular is very high-tech and I am sure most IETF
> attendees will  find the experiment interesting.

Yes.  But, as to the substance, I think Eric's comments are very
relevant here.   As I pointed out in my note to Don, this ceases
to be a "host experiment" as soon as the IASA gets involved, and
the IASA certainly appears to be involved... and is making
policy decisions without adhering to what I believe to be the
requirements for IASA policy decisions.

There are countries in which the use of security cameras is very
widespread too, but I wouldn't expect the IETF --the same IETF
that has occasionally taken very strong positions against bans
on encryption technologies to protect privacy -- to endorse them.

To be clear, I think it is entirely reasonable for a host to
propose something like this, either as a "technology
demonstration" or as an "experiment" (I think of the two as
different; YMMD).   I think it is entirely reasonable for the
IASA to say "tentatively ok" without turning that into a big
deal or public process, and make an announcement to the
community about the plan, and I see that as having been done.
But when, after the announcement, when the community expresses
considerable concerns, I expect the IASA (and, as appropriate
the sponsor) to engage directly on the questions and to treat
the decisions as a policy matter in which the community has to
be involved.  And that is different from saying "it is an
experiment", "...help improve many operational  and
privacy/security aspects of the experiment", without any signs
of being willing to entertain the null hypothesis of "maybe this
isn't a good idea without time and resources for more
consideration and openness".

> Just to be clear, the IAOC did not initiate the RFID
> experiment, and  you are correct that the community did not
> ask for it. The WIDE folks are working very hard to provide us
> with a great meeting, and as part of this effort they are
> showcasing some cool technologies. The RFID system is one such
> technology.

But, as I said to Don, not a technology demonstration that the
IASA needs to facilitate on the one hand and then pretend does
not involve policy decisions about secretariat and other
involvements on the other.

   john