Re: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 1:42 PM, John C Klensin<john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I do not believe that we can reach agreement on even the last
> statement.

I am afraid that you may be correct. I am flabbergasted that consensus
on the superior usability of HTML over IETF legacy plain-text (all
other related issues aside) seems unlikely, but apparently there are a
large number whose experience of online information differs
dramatically from the people I hang out with.

> Similarly, some of us believe that a plain ASCII format with
> directly-encoded "hard" line endings is extremely stable as well
> as extremely suitable for direct search and extraction of
> material (e.g., by copy-and-paste operations).

As to copy-and-paste, your statement is probably not a majority
viewpoint.  A high proportion of my copy-and-pastes are either into
something that'll be delivered via browser (the line-ends silently
vanish) or in an email (where they cause unpredictable breakage
depending on the settings of my email authoring and the recipient's
email reading software.

> We draw some comfort from
> the facts that it does not have to be interpreted by programs
> for display,

I really hope you didn't mean what that sentence apparently says. No
file may be displayed without the invention of one or more computer
programs.  I think that what you're saying is that IETF legacy
plain-text displays correctly in a terminal emulator (and incorrectly
in a browser).  This is clearly correct but many of us feel that
correct display in a browser is of higher utility to a greater number
of potential spec users.

 -T