Re: Let's move on - Let's DNSCurve Re: DNSSEC is NOT secure end to end

So we have totally abandoned the idea of doing DNSSEC in the end point client?

Trust roots have to be valid for at least a decade to be acceptable to
the application vendor community.

And even though the current model of network administration is to
constantly fiddle with everything, I think that is going to have to
stop.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Mark Andrews<marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <a123a5d60906110800i58353c99wc6b16a50395dc5f4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Phill
> ip Hallam-Baker writes:
>> OK, how do you do that if the ICANN root is baked into your broadband
>> router? How about a light switch?
>
>        Given that the ICANN root servers have a history of changing
>        address I would not expect any vendor to not provide a
>        mechanism for changing them.  We build in the ICANN root
>        servers in our products but we also provide mechanisms to
>        change them.
>
> % grep ROOT-SE CHANGES
> 2328.   [maint]         Add AAAA addresses for A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET,
>                        F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET,
>                        J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET and
>                        M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
> 2255.   [maint]         L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is now 199.7.83.42.
> 1567.   [maint]         B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is now 192.228.79.201.
> 1397.   [maint]         J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is now 192.58.128.30.
> %
>
>        The same thing will have to be provided for and DNSKEY's
>        embedded in software as the expectation is that these will
>        change relatively often, much more often than CA certs.
>
>> Yes in theory I can reverse engineer the code. In practice this is not
>> practical. In theory the music industry could set up their own
>> alternative to iTunes, in practice they have no choice but to deal
>> with Apple.
>
>        Governments are not private companies.  Governments often do
>        things no sane company would do.
>
>> Most cell phones ship with only a small number of SSL roots and the
>> end user has no ability to change them.
>>
>> You can change the signing key, but distributing and embedding the
>> verification key is a whole different issue. The reason that VeriSign
>> can charge a premium for certs is because its verification roots are
>> the most widely embedded.
>>
>> You may disagree with my arguments here, but you do not have the
>> standing to call them 'specious'.
> --
> Mark Andrews, ISC
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx

New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,
http://quantumofstupid.com/