Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

On May 24, 2009, at 3:37 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

OK, fine. The general point was: We meet and have met in places in the
US and Canada that are not one hop from "everywhere".

For me, the only places that are one hop are SFO, SJC, LAX, PHX, DEN, and DFW. Most places that I travel to are in fact at least three hops - SBA-SFO-FRA-PRG, or SBA-SFO-KIX-Hiroshima or SBA-LAX-AMS-Den Hague, the last hop in both cases being by train instead of an airplane. Heck, a couple of days ago I had to get a VP's signature to take a direct flight SBA-SJC instead of SBA-LAX-SJC, the difference in cost being ~$100.

With all due respect to the participants in this thread, the one-hop dogma is pretty self-centric. I understand it, but I would really prefer that folks thought in terms of one hub-hub hop with a potential leg at each end. For many of us, that is reality.