Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

On May 24, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

How did we end up with march, late july, november anyway?

It has something to do with the mists of time. Once upon a time there were quarterly meetings, and starting with 1991 we changed to three. I was not part of the decision, but I would imagine that it included some logic similar to:

"we right now have a meeting every 3 months. We have contracts for meetings in ..., Boulder Colorado in December 1990, and St Louis three months later in March 1991. The next meeting should be four months after that (July 1991, Atlanta) and proceed every four months after that (which gets us to November, Santa Fe, New Mexico)."

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/directory2.html