Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

--On Sunday, May 24, 2009 2:57 PM +0200 Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 22 mei 2009, at 16:55, Ray Pelletier wrote:

The IAOC is pleased to announce the beautiful, historic city
of   Maastricht in the Netherlands as the site for IETF 78
from July 25 -   30, 2010.

Beautiful, historic and nowhere near a reasonably-sized
airport.

Of course, much the same comment could be made about Hiroshima.

Not sure if making attending IETF meetings as difficult as
possible is a winning strategy.

My impression is that the IAOC and its predecessors have been repeatedly told "near a major airport with good international connections and multiple carriers". I assume that they have considered that factor among others when selecting sites, but often concluded that it is less important than other concerns (I note that, in the case of Vancouver vs Quebec, they made an attempt at asking).

It seems to me that, if the community doesn't like the way that tradeoff is being made, it needs to make the importance of this consideration much more clear.

   john