Re: Running Code

Andy Bierman wrote:

>> So, existence of required running code does not mean much.

> I disagree.
> It means the specification is implementable.

If a protocol is so complex that its implementability is not
obvious, you have lost from the beginning.

> Since the goal of our work is to produce specifications
> that will allow multiple independent implementations to
> inter-operate successfully,

How can you define successful interoperation of implementations?

> I think adequate procedures exist for gathering implementation
> experience for the IESG to evaluate protocol interoperability.

Such formalism has killed IETF.

To formally confirm that multiple implementations of a protocol
interoperate, which is required these days, you really need to
have a formal specification of a protocol, which, if any, is very
complex even if an informal specification of the protocol is simple.

If all you want is informal and vague feeling of interoperability,
it is not a very useful review.

							Masataka Ohta