Re: How I deal with (false positive) IP-address blacklists...

Theodore Tso wrote:
This doesn't work for most people, but I had fun composing this
response, and coming just a few weeks after people claiming that
IP-based blacklists work well, and rarely result in false positives, I
felt I just had to share.   :-)

Ted,

Evidently you believe that the anecdote you posted proves something, but I am not sure what.

Some others have suggested that it proves something which, I strongly suspect, is not what you had in mind.

Perhaps you can clarify the purpose of your note. How should it be incorporated into the IETF's deliberations?

If you believe that it demonstrates that blacklists do not work well and/or do not rarely result in false positives, perhaps you can document the basis for that assessment.

I feel confident that you do not intend a single anecdote, about minor email service participants, to serve as the basis for such a global conclusion about a mechanism that is implemented and relied on by virtually every professionally-run email receiving service on the planet.

Thanks.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker