Removal of nonsensical IETF patent disclosures

On 2008-08-16 02:57, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that the IETF patent disclosure mechanism be changed
> to postings to a mailing list.  All patent disclosures can be sent to
> it, archived as any other IETF work.  The postings would then also be
> subject to the dispute handling process that the IETF already have put
> significant amount of work into.  It would also be subject to the
> anti-spam mechanism already in place.

No, no, a thousand times no. This is exactly what we used to do.
It doesn't scale, with a busy Secretariat. That's why we used to
have a multiple-month backlog in posting IPR disclosures and that's
why the current self-service tool was created.

The "spam" issue has been misunderstood. The tool is essentially
a wiki with no validation mechanism whatever, so if people scribble
nonsense, it shows up as a disclosure until it gets manually
removed. There's no issue there unless we are all collectively
deprived of common sense.

I'd be in favour of adding some sort of confirmation mechanism
like we have for posting I-Ds; that would probably stop all but
the most determined nonsense-scribblers. But we absolutely shouldn't
add manual vetting by the Secretariat, the IAD or anyone else;
that gets us well down the slippery slope of judging all
IPR disclosures.

     Brian