Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

Marshall Eubanks <tme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I would divide this a little differently
>
> - there are removals that can be done automatically. Some of these
> would be
>    - exact duplicates
>    - spam (or any other postings) _that don't mention patent rights or
> IPR_
>    - postings with offensive words
>
> These do not bother me. (There should, however, be a list of these
> reasons in a BCP IMO.)

I'd move the last category in under the spam: just because a patent
license contains some unrelated word shouldn't mean it must be removed.
If a disclosure regarding some patent contains offensive words, I think
readers would prefer to deal with it.

> - then there are removals that require judgement, which make me very
> nervous.

Indeed.

> Suppose that, as a result of a border dispute, someone from a
> neighboring country
> posts a claim that all of Large Company X's IPR is now made available
> under the terms of GPL v3.
> This might be done as part of a wider campaign of cyber warfare.
>
> Removing this is making a judgement on the validity of IPR claims,
> which we claim we do not do. It would be
> much better to reject such messages before they are ever posted.

Rejecting disclosures appears to be a judgement call too.

> One solution would be to require a TDMA like confirmation of the
> existence of posters (do they
> exist, and are they with the company they claim to be speaking for)
> _before_ the posting is accepted.
>
> So, I would suggest
>
> - a published list of reasons for automatic rejection of a disclosure

+1.

> - a requirement that a company confirm the validity of a disclosure
> before it is posted publicly.

How?

Note also that there are third-party disclosures, which by their nature
aren't authorized by the patent-holding organization.

/Simon