RE: New schemes vs recycling "http:" (Re: Past LC comments ondraft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-08)

I was asked to provide some pointers related to the design decisions we made in GEOPRIV. The GEOPRIV mailing list is a high-volume list and hence it is not fun to search through it. Anyway, I found some pointers of interest.

Ted Hardie provided me with a few pointers around the URI scheme discussion:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/minutes/geopriv.txt

James Winterbottom pointed me to the mailing list thread I started some time ago:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/current/msg04602.html

Here is another mailing list thread related to this topic:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/current/msg05567.html

Reading through the mails again I unfortunately cannot find a strong recommendations. It seems that reading through RFC 3205 we got confused.

Initially, the entire discussion started with LoST where we also solicited review for a URI scheme, see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uri-review/current/msg00601.html

I was pointed to RFC 3205 but we later decided not to define a lost URI scheme.

In KEYPROV we ran into a similar issue. I also asked for review:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-review/current/msg00082.html
Here is the mailing list thread that resulted from my request for review:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-review/current/msg00084.html

In that specific review request the issue of separate port numbers came up.

As one can seen from the mailing list discussions I was not in favor of defining a new URI scheme for HELD. Maybe we can/should reverse that decision...

Ciao
Hannes