Re: New schemes vs recycling "http:" (Re: Past LC comments on draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-08)

On 7 aug 2008, at 10.56, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

If a new URI scheme is defined, it needs to state what it identifies, and how it is resolved. If it identifies an HTTP resource, and resolution is done via HTTP, then it seems to me you don't need it.
Note: I totally disagree.

I detest, abhor and condemn the idea that there is such a thing as a "HTTP resource".

An URI identifies a resource.

FWIW: I agree with this. A URI is an identifier. Some of them might be possible to resolve using for example information given by the URI scheme, but that is definitely not a requirement. And it has never been one either.

   Patrik