Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

At Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:36:42 +0200,
Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 3 aug 2008, at 18:26, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>
> > I find that scribing on jabber has a number of advantages
>
> On the other hand, having the jabber room monopolized by the scribe
> reduces its usefulness as an additional channel for communication.
>
> Now that we have audio for all sessions (although sometimes the
> quality is far from ideal) is it really necessary to repeat everything
> that's being said in jabber?
>
> I think the jabber scribe function should be reduced to announcing new
> speakers and giving some hints about which slides are on the screen.
> The jabber room can then be used by local and remote participants as
> an extra channel rather than a reduced bandwidth copy of the audio.
>
> > 3.) A minor point, but I would urge WG chairs to formally designate
> > someone (possibly themselves) to
> > relay questions from jabber. This seems to fall to the jabber
> > scribe, even though it is impossible to stand at the
> > mike and scribe at the same time !
>
> An extra microphone for the question relayer would also be useful.
> What I always try to do in this situation is sit next to the mike...

Actually, what I think would be very useful would be to have a second
screen that shows the jabber channel. The burden of having to run
everything through the scribe is just too high to allow meaningful
participation.

-Ekr