Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:00 AM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>
>> My biggest obstacle to using jabber for scribing is that we still
>> (used to be frequently, now very rarely, but it happened in Dublin)
>> experience networking problems on the wireless LAN.
>
> I don't think the problems were related to the wireless network. My
> ssh and IMAP session didn't blink, while the plenary jabber room would
> periodically kick out a large fraction of the participants.

   There certainly have been wireless problems, and they certainly could
recur.

>> If we could run one ethernet cable for the chairs/scribe, I bet we'd
>> have more volunteers (I remember that offering power for the scribes
>> worked as an inducement in Yokohama and in Vienna, and probably
>> other places as well).

   It would be good to have ethernet and power for the jabber scribes.
Might I suggest a microphone as well, in case the jabber scribe can't
figure out who's speaking, or finds the need to channel a jabber
question?

>> Beyond that ... so how many working groups have formal secretaries?
>
> Having formal secretaries seems like a better long-term approach; it
> also provides recognition to the individuals and, in some cases, a
> training ground for future WG chairs.

   By all means!

   (Don't forget the other direction: after graduating from WGC, you'll
have a leg up on judging what deserves to be recorded in minutes, and
you'll have a better chance of gleaning a name from the mumbled sylables
before speakers actually get close enough to the mike.)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>