Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

John C Klensin wrote:

> rules like this are ultimately useless unless ICANN agrees to
> them, presumably via the gNSO, one at a time, and via a PDP
> process.

As long as PDP translates into "individual Last Call comments"
for a future draft-ietf-idnabis-952bis that's fine.

Nothing rush like <http://idn.icann.org/Special:Recentchanges>

> it seems to argue that we should be conservation about what
> names we reserve and thereby promote.

Sure, there also rules about not creating confusingly similar
TLDs, proposed TLDs exmaple or examlpe won't pass that check.

> Perhaps we should ask ICANN to reserve all single-letter TLDs
> (in any script) for IETF use.

s/ICANN/IANA/, and that is an odd idea.  We don't need 2**20
example TLDs.  But a few would be nice, for examples in EAI
and IDNAbis drafts, or similar.

 Frank