Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

> I'm suggesting it would be helpful if there were an RFC directing IANA
> to establish a registry that contains both labels and rules (e.g, no
> all-numeric strings, no strings that start with 0x and contain
> hexadecimal values, the string 'xn--', the 2606 strings, etc.) that
> specify what cannot be placed into the root zone.  As part of future
> IANA actions, any time a protocol defines a new TLD (e.g., .local) an
> entry should be placed into that registry.
>
> Would there be the downside to this?

	several come to mind...

	heres one.  wrt numeric strings, you have examples of the ambiguity
	in implementations on -how- to process non-base 10 numbers.  but
	it is clear that hex encoding is -not- tossed out.  how 'bout octal?
	or base 36?  are numeric string representations now, after 30 years
	going to be outlawed? if so, on what basis?

	creating a useful RFC that creates a registry and maintains it in a timely
	fashion -in this century- seems a bedtime fable.

--
--bill