Re: SHOULD vs MUST case sensitivity

Hi -

> From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "IETF Discussion" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 5:31 PM
> Subject: Re: SHOULD vs MUST case sensitivity
> English is not case sensitive.

Not so.  Case has long been used for emphasis in environments
lacking other typographical means, such as bolding, underlining,
or italicization.

>  RFC 2119 does not specify case sensitivity.

Agreed.  I was long of the opinion that capitalizing the magic words
when used in their specialized RFC 2119 senses was overkill.  Though I
still think it should not be necessary, I've seen enough cases where
people failed to correctly disambiguate, and thus conclude that authors
and editors SHOULD employ the case distinction.

Randy