Re: Implicit MX and A RRs

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:46:37AM -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:

> >>	It will be needed even *after* IPv6 takes over.  There will
> >>	be lots of queries for A records long after the majority
> >>	of hosts don't have A records.
> >>
> >>	We need to remove the implict MX from A to prevent the A
> >>	record lookups occuring as things currently stand.

There will be lots of legacy codes using legacy APIs for long future.
I do use  getaddrinfo()  API myself, and permit it do all queries to
get addresses.  Thus it will also query for A in addition to AAAA.
It can even be ordered to ignore IPv4 or IPv6 as sysadmin wants.

For the future the previous "query for A record" should possibly
be altered to "query for network address (IPv6 AAAA and/or IPv4 A)"
or some such generic wording.

--
/Matti Aarnio	<mea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>