Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

> At 00:57 26-03-2008, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >         Which is not documented in any RFC despite being a good idea.
> >
> >         It is easy to turn "MX 0 ." into "This domain doesn't support
> >         email" as "." is not confusable with a hostname.  There is no
> >         reason to look up addresses records for "."
>
> There was an I-D, draft-delany-nullmx-00, which didn't make it to RFC status.

	I was aware which is why I said "RFC" not "document".

> >         Which could just be a misconfiguration.   You still have to
> >         look up addresses for "dev.null".
>
> Yes.  People still do it.

	Yes they do.  We, the IETF, have failed them by not providing
	them with a clear mechanism to do what they want without bad
	side effects.

> > > If the implicit MX rule is depreciated for IPv6, the above won't be neede
> d.
> >
> >         It's still needed to prevent the A lookup.
>
> It would be needed until IPv6 takes over.

	It will be needed even *after* IPv6 takes over.  There will
	be lots of queries for A records long after the majority
	of hosts don't have A records.

	We need to remove the implict MX from A to prevent the A
	record lookups occuring as things currently stand.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx