Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

> --On Tuesday, 25 March, 2008 23:18 -0400 Keith Moore
> <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> You know, that's a very interesting point. One of more common
> >> configuration variations we see is to disable MX lookups and
> >> just use address records.
> >
> > how does anyone expect that to work across administrative
> > domains?

> Sorry, I'm now completely confused.  Maybe it has just been a
> long day, but...

> Ned, by "disable MX lookups", do you mean "don't put MX records
> into the DNS zone and therefore force a fallback to the address
> records" or "ignore the requirement of the standard that
> requires using MX records if they are there"?

I'm talking about having the ability to disable DNS MX lookups entirely
and fall back to address information.

> If the latter,
> the behavior, however useful (or not) is, IMO, so far outside
> the standard that it is irrelevant to any discussion about how
> DNS records are used in a standard way.

I'm sorry, but i don't see it that way. I was close to convinced that this sort
of fallback behavior was no longer useful under any circumstances until Bill
reminded me that's not the case.

				Ned