Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

> Ned, by "disable MX lookups", do you mean "don't put MX records
> into the DNS zone and therefore force a fallback to the address
> records" or "ignore the requirement of the standard that
> requires using MX records if they are there"?   If the latter,
> the behavior, however useful (or not) is, IMO, so far outside
> the standard that it is irrelevant to any discussion about how
> DNS records are used in a standard way.
>
> Keith, what do administrative domains have to do with this?

I can imagine wanting an option to skip MX record lookup for relaying
mail within an administrative domain - if, say, all of the relevant
domains within that administrative domain were known to have A records
pointing to their inbound SMTP server.

By contrast, I have a hard time imagining a good reason to skip MX
lookup for relaying mail from one administrative domain to another.
(unless maybe there is a bilateral agreement between the source and
destination domain that specifies how such mail is to be relayed.)

(I have no doubt at all that people ask for such a thing, but I am at a
loss as to why such behavior should be blessed by the standards.)

Keith