Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

It might be the case that it's useful for an MTA to have an option to
skip MX lookup for specific destinations because of DNS brokenness at
those destinations.  But this seems to me to be outside of the scope of
the standard.  Skipping MX lookup is not acceptable as a general
practice, nor is it something we want to encourage.

In general, it's always been acceptable to configure an MTA to handle
mail in some special-case way for specific domains where there was
specific knowledge such that the special-case handling made sense for
those domains.  The MX-then-A lookup is what you should do in the
absence of any such knowledge.