Re: draft-ietf-hokey-emsk-hierarchy-04.txt

Thank you.  Comment following your clarification.
Joel

Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
>>     The one thing that bothers me a little is the intended status of
>> this document.  Given that the EMSK is entirely inside a system, and
>> that therefore the actual generation process is internal to that
>> system, I am not sure that a registry tied to the specifics of the
>> generation mechanism, is appropriate.  A lot of this document is of
>> the form "if you don't define it some other way, do this."  While very
>> useful text, it actually doesn't seem to affect on-the-wire
>> interoperability.  So I wonder if this whole document is more
>> informational than "proposed standard?"  I'm not sure on this, but the
>> containment property did strike me reading the document.
>
> The peer and the server need to arrive at the same derivations.  The
> keynames derived as specified in this document would be used in
> protocols specified elsewhere to refer to the keys derived independently
> at both ends.  So, whereas there are no "on the wire" packet formats in
> this document, other documents will put information derived as specified
> in this document in their packets.

That does make for a good reason for PS.   I am however then confused by
the description that the EMSK never leaves the server.  I presume that
this relates to other aspects of EAP that I am not familiar with.  You
may want to see if there is a way to phrase it that makes it a bit
clearer.  But given what you say, this is another minor issue, not a big
deal.