Re: draft-ietf-hokey-emsk-hierarchy-04.txt

Thanks Joel.  Followup notes inline:

On 3/17/2008 6:47 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> Thank you.  Comment following your clarification.
> Joel
>

> Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
>>>     The one thing that bothers me a little is the intended status of
>>> this document.  Given that the EMSK is entirely inside a system, and
>>> that therefore the actual generation process is internal to that
>>> system, I am not sure that a registry tied to the specifics of the
>>> generation mechanism, is appropriate.  A lot of this document is of
>>> the form "if you don't define it some other way, do this."  While
>>> very useful text, it actually doesn't seem to affect on-the-wire
>>> interoperability.  So I wonder if this whole document is more
>>> informational than "proposed standard?"  I'm not sure on this, but
>>> the containment property did strike me reading the document.
>>
>> The peer and the server need to arrive at the same derivations.  The
>> keynames derived as specified in this document would be used in
>> protocols specified elsewhere to refer to the keys derived
>> independently at both ends.  So, whereas there are no "on the wire"
>> packet formats in this document, other documents will put information
>> derived as specified in this document in their packets.
>
> That does make for a good reason for PS.   I am however then confused by
> the description that the EMSK never leaves the server.  I presume that
> this relates to other aspects of EAP that I am not familiar with.  You
> may want to see if there is a way to phrase it that makes it a bit
> clearer.  But given what you say, this is another minor issue, not a big
> deal.

The note about EMSK never leaving the server is contextual; the other
master session key, the MSK is sent to the authenticator (and thus
"leaves" the server).  We'll make a note of this as well for clarification.

So, on balance, we have two clarifications make: one on domains (that
came up elsewhere too, so we'll work on the text once again -- we did
that during WG discussions) and another on EMSK being held at the server.

regards,
Lakshminath