Re: Confirming vs. second-guessing

On 3/16/2008 7:36 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
> My apologies, I was going to leave this alone, but this ...
> chastisement .. is off-target.
>
> At 09:50 PM 3/16/2008, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>> Mike, whatever your personal opinion, based on the public
>> information many people have concluded in good faith that something
>> went wrong.
>
> I agree with this. Something went wrong.
>
>> Asserting that the problems are FUD does not help anyone resolve
>> this.
>
> I'm sorry you didn't actually read what I wrote. I did not refer to
> the problems as FUD.  I called one specific statement by LD FUD and
> hogwash. The statement was an attempt to use an emotional response to
> an unlikely or improbable action by the IAB sometime in the future to
> gain an outcome (e.g. don't let this dangerous precedent stand) that
> matched his personal belief.
>
> What would you call it if not FUD?  Never mind.  Substitute "an
> emotional appeal" for FUD and "This is an absurd extrapolation of
> what the IAB may do in the far future" for hogwash and see if you
> like the text better.

I guess I should respond to this.  Why would the extrapolation be
absurd?  Where is it stated that a confirmation body cannot seek such
information?  One of the IAB requirements is to provide a summary of
feedback on a candidate.  From there to asking for verbatim feedback is
not a stretch.  I am not saying IAB would ask for this.  I am saying one
of the confirmation bodies could ask for this and the nomcom would be in
the same situation.

Expressing incredulity does not work in such situations.  I have tried.

regards,
Lakshminath