Re: Thoughts on the nomcom process

This isn't a dangerous precedent, this is the IAB doing its due diligence.

One of the possible outcomes here could have been the IAB simply rejecting those candidates for which it could not form an opinion due to lack of information.  Confirmation is an "affirmative" action, not simply a lack of a reasons to reject.  The confirming bodies should not be concerned with the way the Nomcom got to the point of nominating someone (at least not during the process), but they are there to examine the nomination and nominee and to determine if - in the confirming body's best judgement - the nominee is acceptable for the position.

The IAB, as early as 2003, drafted a document that described the information they require to do their job of confirming IESG candidates.  As I understand this dispute, the Nomcom for some reason either never saw the document, or decided they were just going to ignore it and hope for the best. I'm not sure which was the case even from reading your document multiple times.  And given that you were a member of the previous Nomcom, I am surprised to hear that you hadn't seen it at some point.

If the community wants the confirming bodies to be a rubber stamp, they should limit the deliberations of the confirming bodies in a manner which, absent errors of process, will result in the confirming bodies confirming the Nomcom's choices.  [However, I suggest anyone reading this consider and attempt to describe publicly how any external entity, not privy to the internal deliberative process of the Nomcom, could make such a judgement in a manner that was anything but a coin toss]

If the community wants to continue with quality selections of its leadership, it should probably continue with "strong" confirming board model.

With respect to your FUD comment below " I believe that the IAB's
interpretation of 3777 on the matter of the confirmation process sets a
dangerous precedence whereby one of the confirming bodies could require
that the Nomcom provide (samples of) verbatim feedback." - HOG WASH.   The specific language in the IAB document is:

     1.
Resume or CV of the candidate
     2. Summary of the IETF feedback on the
candidate
     3. Summary of the IETF community feedback on the
state of the Area
        and it's current needs
     4. The Nominating Committee's conclusions of the
qualifications
        required for the position
     5. Nominating Committee's view of the
qualifications of the
        candidate to undertake the
role associated with the position
     6. Candidate's statement to the Nominating
Committee on the
        position, conveyed to the IAB
with the candidate's knowledge and
        assent

As someone who's been in all 4 nomcom related positions (Chair, Voting Member, Liason(past chair), Confirming Body (IAB)),  (and the guy who actually wrote the first nomcom Questionnaire with the idea of gathering in an orderly manner the information we were going to need to provide to the confirming bodies), I find none of this either inappropriate or over-reaching.

And finally, a closer reading of RFC3777 will reveal that this dispute between the IAB and Nomcom probably shouldn't have gone to 3777 dispute resolution.

But fait is accompli so... :-)

And continuing - the issues that sparked the IAB document occurred during the term (and almost at the end) of the WG that did 3777, not prior to it.  I think 3777 had gone through several last calls and there was all that pesky secrecy stuff - we couldn't actually tell the WG WHY certain changes should really be made.  That resulted in a document that did not include the IAB requirements and mentioned above.

Jim Galvin can probably do a better job of describing the timeline.  The fact that we didn't turn right around and reopen the process to add these requirements (or prohibit them) is mostly due to extreme exhaustion after both the WG and the confirming process.

Later, Mike