Re: experiments in the ietf week

On 2008-03-16 02:09, Russ Housley wrote:
> Jari:
>
>  > Challenge for our IT folks: Internationalized Internet Drafts,
>  > including file names. Doable?
>
> Six or seven years ago we had a big discussion regarding the
> language(s) to be used in the IETF.  Harald was IETF Chair when this
> discussion took place, and he declared the consensus to be that the
> IETF would use on language: English.
>
> I do think it would be useful to look at representing author names
> according to the individual's preference.

And addresses. And there's also the question of useful examples
in drafts discussing I18N issues.

> However, I do not think
> that non-English file names are consistent with the consensus that was reached.

Agreed; I think there are too many practical problems in that,
that really aren't ours to solve.

draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs talked about this. An experiment wouldn't be
hard, and doesn't need a plenary...

   Brian