Re: IONs & discuss criteria

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your response.  Some notes inline:

On 3/6/2008 4:09 PM, Russ Housley wrote:
> Ted, Lakshminath, and the Rest of the IETF Community:
>
>> I fail to understand why this has to be a guessing game.
>
> The handling of reviews by non-IESG members seems to be an important
> part of this discussion.

I agree and have contributed to that part of the solution, only now I am
realizing that it may be becoming part of the problem, so to speak.  The
concern is that over time it seems to be degenerating into, I will use
Ted's phrase here because that is what it feels like, "go satisfy that
guy."  Consider how it sounds when trying to explain to an outsider: the
document is held up in IESG processing because X, who is not an IESG or
IAB member, does not like it.

I think your own word is "answer" (I have heard "respond") in lieu of
"satisfy."  Some notes on that below:

> So, I'll tell everyone how I deal with Gen-ART
> Reviews.  Other General ADs may have done things slightly different.
>
> When I use a Gen-ART Review as the basis of a DISCUSS, I put it in one
> of two categories.
>
> (1)  The Gen-ART Review was ignored.  Like any other Last Call comment,
> it deserves an answer.  So, this is a procedural objection.  In this
> situation, I've been careful to say that the authors do not need to
> accept all of the comments, but then need to answer them.

I have reviewed documents as a Gen-ART reviewer (during Brian's tenure I
think), sec-dir reviewer and also provided IETF LC comments on some
documents.  As a reviewer, I am not sure whether I was expecting answers
all those times.  I am pretty sure I have not always stated whether or
not the answers are satisfactory.

Next, I can imagine an author not wanting to respond to something I may
have said because it was totally bogus or inappropriate and does not
deserve a response.  That might very well happen when I review documents
on a topic that I am not familiar with and haven't had the time to read
related references (that varies depending on the time available, etc.).
  Perhaps that is not such a bad thing; being blissfully ignorant on
some topics keeps me, well, blissful.  I use somewhat of a hyperbole for
obvious reasons.  I am sure many other situations are much more nuanced.
  I hope ADs don't continue to hold a DISCUSS in those situations
waiting for a dialog to take place or waiting for a consensus to emerge.
  I sometimes hint in my reviews that the topic may be at the border of
my knowledge and if I have a bias.  Perhaps that is helpful.

regards,
Lakshminath