Re: ISO 3166 mandatory?

David Conrad wrote:

 [CP, DG, EA, FX, IC, or TA]
> When you do a query against EH (for example) you get a blank
> template but when you query against (say) FX, you get not
> found.  Not sure why this is the case as it is clearly broken.
> I'll recommend it get fixed.

They could make it worse if they add the "fantasy island codes".

Let the relevant experts like Debbie or Stéphane decide if they
want more or less obscure territories listed as country or not,
the job of the governments, the UN, and the ISO 3166/MA.  Not
a job for a whois.iana.org admin, who might not know what it is:

TA is reserved by the UPU, as long as IANA does not want to get
into the business of selling stamps or similar they do not need
it.  TA belongs to SH, SH belongs to GB => let Debbie handle it,
not IANA, this worked like a charme for GG + IM + JE in 2006.

EA, unless IANA intends to get in the business of sponsoring a
war between Morocco and the EU they should stay away from EA.
Let the government of Spain decide if they want a country code.

Similar IC, Spain is notoriously picky about such issues, e.g.,
they will not recognize Kosovo as indepenent country, it could
be a bad example for Basque.  IANA has no business to sponsor
civil wars in parts of Europe - of course now folks in Africa
could ask what I'm smoking, as IC clearly is a part of Africa.

DG is covered by IO, nobody needs it.  But it was the place of
some nasty near genocide, and IANA should not touch it without
prior consultations with both the UK and the US governments.

That is *one* meaning of the RFC 1591 and IDP-1 country rules,
unless I seriously missed their drift.  There are authorities
deciding what is and what is not a country, and IANA isn't one
of these authorities.

> Not sure I see what the problem is.

For the "fanatsy island codes" see above.  For EU it's just a
silly idea that everybody in the EU could have two codes, the
GB + UK mess is bad enough.  With ASIA and CAT, why didn't
they get say EURO ?  Why do they always need an extra-rule ?
Why can't they have a decent whois server like most gTLDs ?

 Frank